Thursday 23 June 2011

The TMB - getting to Les Houches

I intended to start the Tour on Monday 6th June from Les Houches in the Chamonix valley. To get there I took an Easy-jet flight to Geneva (Sat 4th),
where I spent an uncomfortable night in arrivals - then a "ChamExpress"
transfer on Sunday 5th. I arrived in Chamonix, in the rain, at about midday.

This view shows Église Saint Michel in Chamonix, with the
Téléférique du Brévent in the background
The weather cleared-up a bit as I made my way along the valley. I found a
camp-site at Les Bossons and decided to stay there for one night.
Beautifully situated, Camping les Ecureuils (squirrels) is between the river
and the "SCNF" railway tracks, with views of the glaciers above.
Trains passed-by occasionally, here's one ...
After pitching my tent and getting sorted-out I had time to walk up to the
Chalet du Glacier des Bossons 1425m and take some pictures ...

Here's my photo's of the "snout" of the glacier

It was a superb walk back down to the camp-site by a different track. Couple more photos ..

Next day, Monday 6th June, in sunny weather, I headed down the valley
to Les Houches. As I passed these cyclists along the road I could pick-out
the Col de Voza on the skyline ahead.
This picture shows part of the main thoroughfare into Les Houches
I passed the Téléférique de Bellevue and picked-up signs to my starting-point for the walk beside the hotel "Le Grand Balcon". At 10.30am I was at last setting-out on my first Tour du Mont Blanc ... I began to climb ...

No comments:

Post a Comment