Sunday 26 June 2011

The TMB - Day 1 - June 6th - Les Houches to Les Contamines via Bionnassay

The first day's walk starts by passing holiday homes and winter-ski pistes, and climbs over the Col de Voza (600 metres of ascent).
After the village of Bionnassay, it dips down into a ravine to cross a glacial river (fed by the Glacier de Bionnassay), then goes through pretty villages along the Val Montjoie to Les Contamines.
It was all very pleasant and rural - but it was perhaps the least exciting day of the whole Tour and I regretted not taking the variante route over the Col de Tricot - even though that would have added another 500 metres of ascent.

Here's some photo's














The church clock in Les Contamines shows the time of my arrival there. The camp-site 'Camping du Pontet' that I was hoping to use wasn't open, so I pitched my tent in a sort-of adventure play park near tennis courts and a boating lake.
I packed-up next morning just in time as the staff started to arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment