Thursday 7 July 2011

The TMB - Day 5 - June 10th - Through Courmayeur ...

Onwards and upwards ...

This was a hot day and I took it steadily. I planned to buy provisions in Courmayeur, so I struck-camp and headed along the valley into town.


The variente route followed tarmac roads, but the scenery was still spectacular with splendid views of the surrounding mountains, and of the Glacier de la Brenva.



I passed Notre Dame de Guérison and continued around the foot of Mont Chétif. The roadside verges were colourful with a profusion of spring flowers - and butterflies. This was the only part of the trail where I saw the Black-veined White; a large butterfly with semi-transparent wings.


I passed the small town of Entrèves at the Italian end of the Mont Blanc Tunnel. Part of a tunnel-entrance structure can be seen at the bottom of this photo.


I spent some time in Courmayeur stocking-up on food supplies and eventually, with a heavy rucksack, I buckled-down to the inevitable climb out of the valley. The route to Refugio Bertone and beyond proved to be one of the steepest climbs of the Tour, from circa 1150 m altitude to almost 2600 m at Tête de la Tranche. There was a bird's-eye view down to Courmayeur from the tree-line near Rifugio Bertone.


This was the last of a group of buildings near the refuge, and the view beyond is to Col Sapin 2436 m, where two of the TMB varientes for this section converge.


These rock plants were near the refuge.



The grassy ridge of Mont de la Saxe beyond Rifugio Bertone is high alpine cattle pasture - in complete contrast to the rocky frozen pinnacles of Les Grandes Jorasses on the opposite side of Val Veni and Val Ferret. The views got better and better as I climbed. I decided to camp along the ridge before reaching Col Sapin and started to look for a level pitch ...



FOOD!  ... at last ... but I had to block the draughts in order to get my kettle boiling.



No comments:

Post a Comment