Sunday 1 January 2012

The TMB - DAY11 - June 16th - Col de Brévent to Les Houches

I had camped just outside the Réserve Naturelle Aiguilles Rouges on the path over the col. It was impossible to use tent pegs on the rocky surface so I tied the guys to suitably heavy rocks.



The path continued on the western side of the ridge through a moonscape of rocky bowls and ridges.



To gain the ridge a short section of ladders is provided.  I saw a Chamois here, but didn't manage to get a photograph. This guy caught me up and I let him go first up the ladders.



Once on the ridge there was a terrific view in all directions. This view is to the west away from the Chamonix valley.



Alpine Accentors were chasing wind-blown seeds on the patches of snow.



Occasionally a window opened up through the clouds revealing the Mont Blanc summit and the Aiguille du Midi.



I began the long descent - broken part way down by stopping at the Refuge de Bel Lachat. The guy there was getting ready to open-up for the season next day. I asked for water but he could only provide beer!


The end is in sight - but it's still a long way down to Les Houches in the Chamonix valley.



No comments:

Post a Comment